Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is a common sexual issue in men or Assigned Males at Birth (AMAB). It is an inability of men or AMAB to get and maintain an erection for sexual activity.
Various ED treatments are available, including medicines like Sildenafil and Avanafil.
These two popular ED medicines have shown efficacy in helping men regain erectile function.
Avanafil and Sildenafil share similarities in the mechanism of action. But there are some distinctions between them that can impact your decision.
In this article on Sildenafil vs Avanafil, we aim to highlight the critical differences between these two ED pills.
By understanding these differences, you can make informed decisions.
Key differences between Sildenafil and Avanafil
Sildenafil is popularly known as Viagra, whereas, Avanafil is commonly known as Stendra.
Avanafil and Sildenafil both belong to the same group of medicines known as PDE5 inhibitors.
They work by inhibiting PDE5 enzymes in the penis, which increases cGMP levels.
cGMP is a molecule that helps dilate the penile blood vessels and improves blood flow.
This enhanced blood flow to the penis is necessary for getting and maintaining a firm erection.
Although they work in a similar way, they have many notable differences between them.
These include their onset time, duration of actions, potential to cause side effects, etc.
Here we discuss each difference in detail.
To distinguish between the brand name medicines of both the drugs, refer to this article– Stendra vs Viagra: Unveiling the Differences
Which starts working quickly: Avanafil or Sildenafil
Avanafil (Stendra) is known for its relatively fast onset of action.
It starts working within 15-30 minutes after consumption of medicine.
This makes it one of the quickest-acting ED medications available.
It reaches its peak effectiveness within 30-45 minutes.
In contrast, Sildenafil (Viagra) takes longer to start working than Avanafil.
Sildenafil takes 30-60 minutes to become effective after ingestion.
Sildenafil reaches its peak concentration within 60 minutes of consumption.
However, the exact onset time may vary depending on individual factors like food consumption, metabolism, and overall health.
Whose effects last for longer: Sildenafil or Avanafil
The effects of both Avanafil and Sildenafil last for approximately 4-6 hours after administration.
The duration of the effects varies from one person to another. It depends on the health and medical conditions of an individual.
While the effects of these medications may last for several hours, they do not result in a constant or continuous erection.
They help to get and maintain an erection in response to sexual stimulation during their active duration (i.e., 4-6 hours).
Sildenafil vs Avanafil dosage
FDA has approved three doses of Sildenafil, i.e., 25 mg, 50mg, and 100mg.
- The standard starting Sildenafil dose for most men is 50 mg. It is taken approximately 1 hour before sexual activity. This dose can be increased to 100mg or decreased to 25mg based on individual response and tolerability.
- The maximum recommended dose of Sildenafil is 100 mg per day.
- Sildenafil can be taken with or without food. But high-fat food can delay its onset of action and reduces its peak concentration by 29%.
In contrast, FDA has approved 50mg, 100mg, and 200mg doses of Avanafil.
- The starting dose for Avanafil is 100 mg. It is taken approximately 15-30 minutes before sexual activity. This dose can be adjusted based on individual response and tolerability.
- The maximum prescribed dose is 200 mg per day.
Avanafil can be consumed with or without food. High-fat food does not delay the onset time of Avanafil but reduces the peak concentration by 18%.
Which causes fewer side effects: Sildenafil vs Avanafil
Both Sildenafil and Avanafil belong to the same group of medicines. Due to this, they have similar side effects profiles.
However, as per a study, Avanafil causes fewer common side effects than Sildenafil.
Other side effects like facial flushing, nasal congestion, and back pain are more likely to occur with Sildenafil than Avanafil.
This is because Avanafil has a higher selectivity for PDE5 than Sildenafil. Thus, reducing the risk of side effects.
To get into more details, refer to this article– Navigating the Potential Side Effects of Sildenafil
Which is cost-effective: Avanafil or Sildenafil
There are many factors when comparing the cost-effectiveness of Avanafil and Sildenafil. These include brand, dosage, state laws, insurance coverage, etc.
Generally, Sildenafil tends to be more cost-effective compared to Avanafil.
This is because Sildenafil is available in generic form, which offers lower prices compared to brand-name medications.
Avanafil, being a newer medication, may have a higher cost associated with its marketing.
To put pricing into perspective, generic Sildenafil costs less than $3 per pill via our online pharmacy ForDailyMedicine.
Quick overview: Sildenafil and Avanafil
A general overview of the differences between Sildenafil and Avanafil.
|Onset of Action
|Approximately 30-60 minutes
|Approximately 15-30 minutes
|Duration of Action
|Approximately 4-6 hours
|Approximately 4-6 hours
|Recommended Starting Dose
|Maximum Recommended Dose
|100 mg per day
|200 mg per day
|High-fat meals can delay the onset of action
|Can be taken with or without food
|Time to Peak Effect
|Common Side Effects
|Causes more side effects like headaches, flushing, etc.
|Causes fewer side effects like headaches, flushing, etc.
It is essential to know that this table is a general representation of well-researched information.
For personalized advice, consult your doctor.
Which is better: Sildenafil vs Avanafil
In the comparison of Sildenafil vs. Avanafil, it is challenging to determine which ED pill is better.
Both medications are effective in treating Erectile Dysfunction and possess unique characteristics.
Sildenafil is the oldest and most extensively researched ED pill. It has gained immense popularity and trust among millions of individuals.
On the other hand, Avanafil (marketed as Stendra) stands out for its rapid onset of action. This makes it a superior choice for those seeking a fast-acting solution.
Choosing between these two ED pills is a highly individualistic decision. It depends on factors like how well a specific medication works for an individual and their specific needs.
So, you must consult a doctor to determine the appropriate Erectile Dysfunction medicine for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Sildenafil or Avanafil more effective for Erectile Dysfunction?
Both Sildenafil and Avanafil are effective in treating Erectile Dysfunction, but individual responses may vary.
Can I consume alcohol while taking Sildenafil or Avanafil?
Alcohol consumption should be limited when taking Sildenafil or Avanafil as it may increase the risk of side effects. Consult a healthcare professional for specific guidance.
Can I use Sildenafil or Avanafil if I have underlying health conditions?
The use of Sildenafil or Avanafil may be contraindicated or require special precautions in individuals with certain health conditions. Consult a healthcare professional for personalized advice based on your medical history.
Can I take Sildenafil or Avanafil with other medications?
It is crucial to contact a doctor before combining Sildenafil or Avanafil with other medications to avoid potential interactions.
Are there any side effects of Sildenafil or Avanafil?
Both medications may cause adverse effects like headaches, flushing, and nasal congestion. Consult a healthcare professional for a comprehensive list of potential side effects.
More Articles on Sildenafil
- What is Sildenafil and How Does It Work
- Explore the Versatile Uses of Sildenafil in Medical Treatments
- The history of Sildenafil and its development
- Navigating the Potential Side Effects of Sildenafil
- Interactions of Sildenafil: Drugs, Food, and Disease
- Contraindications of Sildenafil: A Guide for Safe Use
- Sildenafil Dosage: A Guide to Achieving Optimal Results
- Sildenafil and Alternatives: Comparison of ED Drugs
- The Time Factor: How Long Does Sildenafil Last
- Recreational Use of Sildenafil: Risks, Ethics, and Alternatives
- Sildenafil for Women: Can it Help with Sexual Dysfunction
- How to get a Sildenafil Prescription: Your Ultimate Guide
- Sildenafil without a prescription: Is it safe?
- Unlocking the Timing: How Long Does Sildenafil Take to Work
- How to Use Sildenafil for Best Results
- Sildenafil’s Impact on Fertility and Reproductive Health
- Sildenafil for Premature Ejaculation: Effective or Myth
- Sildenafil and mental health: Effects on Mood and Anxiety
- Uncovering Herbal Alternatives to Sildenafil
- Can Sildenafil Become Less Effective Over Time
- Unveiling the Benefits and Risks of Sildenafil for ED
- Tadalafil vs Sildenafil – Which ED Pill Reigns Supreme
- Vardenafil vs Sildenafil: Let Us Clear Your Doubt!
- Sildenafil vs Avanafil: Which One to Choose
- How to Store Sildenafil for Maximum Potency