Sildenafil, known by its brand name Viagra, is a medication that treats Erectile Dysfunction (ED) in men or Assigned Males at Birth (AMAB).
Erectile Dysfunction is an inability of men to get or maintain a firm erection.
It works by dilating the penile blood vessels, increasing blood flow to the penis.
This improves erectile functions in men with ED.
But Sildenafil works best when used in the right way. From dosage timing to food, all can influence its effectiveness.
This article will explore the best practices for how to use Sildenafil for best results.
How to use Sildenafil for best results
Sildenafil is an effective treatment for ED, but taking the medication correctly is crucial.
Dosage, timing, food, sexual stimulation, storage, etc., can affect Sildenafil’s effectiveness.
Understanding and using these factors to your advantage can help you to get the most benefits of this medicine.
Appropriate Sildenafil dosage
FDA has approved three doses of Sildenafil, i.e., 25mg, 50mg, and 100mg.
These Sildenafil dosages differ from person to person. The doctor can determine the appropriate dosage depending on your medical needs.
Doctors usually prescribe a 50mg dose of Sildenafil. This can be increased to 100mg or decreased to 25mg based on your response to the medication.
Only the doctor can adjust the doses if you are not responding to a 50mg dose.
It is necessary not to take more than the recommended dose of Sildenafil.
Some people think taking more than the recommended dose will improve their condition faster.
But this is not the case. If your body doesn’t require a higher Sildenafil dose, it may lead to dose-related side effects.
Therefore, it is important to contact a doctor and adhere to their suggestions.
Timing is Key
It is essential to plan your Sildenafil dosage ahead of sexual time.
This is because Sildenafil takes around 30 to 60 minutes to start working. Your body needs time to absorb and process the medication after ingestion.
Once you swallow the pill, it’s absorbed into your bloodstream. After about 60 minutes, it reaches its peak concentration in the bloodstream and has maximum effect on your body.
This onset time of Sildenafil can vary from person to person. It depends on the individual’s health and medical conditions.
That is why it is important not to rush into sexual activity immediately after taking the medication.
You must wait for 30 minutes before expecting it to be effective. But it is best to wait up to 60 minutes for it to reach its full potential.
Be Sexually Stimulated
Sildenafil does not produce an erection on its own.
Instead, it enhances the effects of Nitric Oxide (NO), which is released during sexual arousal.
NO helps in the production of cyclic Guanosine Monophosphate (cGMP).
cGMP is a molecule that helps dilate the penile blood vessels. This dilation allows for increased blood flow to the penis, which is necessary for a firm erection.
But PDE5 enzymes are present in the penis, which are responsible for breaking down cGMP levels.
Sildenafil works by blocking the actions of PDE5 enzymes.
This allows for restoring cGMP levels, which increases blood flow to the penis. Thus, helping men to get or maintain a firm erection.
Even though Sildenafil is an effective treatment for ED, it requires sexual stimulation to work.
So, indulge yourself in a lot of foreplay to get sexually stimulated.
Don’t take more than one pill in 24 hours
It is not advisable to take more than one Sildenafil dose in 24 hours because it can increase the risk of side effects.
One of the potential side effects of Sildenafil is a drop in blood pressure. This can be dangerous or life-threatening if it falls too low.
This can also make you vulnerable to other side effects of Sildenafil. These include headaches, dizziness, nausea, nasal congestion, etc.
So, it is crucial to stick to one dose in 24 hours to reduce the likelihood of unwanted effects.
Be aware of its interactions
It is crucial to be aware of Sildenafil’s interactions because certain medications or conditions can interact with it.
This can alter its effectiveness or even cause adverse reactions.
Some of the common interactions of Sildenafil include:
- Medicine containing Nitrates
- Alpha-blockers medicines
- Other ED medicines like Tadalafil and Vardenafil
- Liver or kidney impairment
- Condition of Hypotension
- Interaction with alcohol and grapefruit juice
These interactions can range from mild to severe or can be life-threatening in some cases.
Knowing the potential interactions of Sildenafil allows you to make the best use of it.
Also, you must inform your doctor about any medications you are taking. This helps to avoid any potential interactions.
Also Read: Uncovering Herbal Alternatives to Sildenafil
Watch for side effects
Sildenafil is a safe and well-tolerated medicine. But, like all medications, it has the potential to cause side effects.
Therefore, knowing its adverse effects is essential to minimize the risk of experiencing them.
Some common side effects of Sildenafil include
- Nasal congestion
- Back pain
- Muscle pain
- Allergic reactions
These adverse effects are temporary and need minimal to no medical attention. They disappear once your body adjusts to your dosage.
If any of these side effects cause you to worry, consult a doctor. He/she may be able to adjust your dosage or recommend alternative ED treatments.
Store Sildenafil Properly
Proper storage of Sildenafil is crucial to maintain its effectiveness and safety.
This can help to keep the medicine intact. Thus, allowing you to make the best use of it.
The ideal storage conditions for Sildenafil include the following:
- Keep it in a dry and cool place.
- Store it at room temperature, between 20°C and 25°C.
- Do not expose it to direct sunlight or moisture.
Also, store Sildenafil out of reach of children and pets to prevent accidental ingestion.
In summary, Sildenafil is a safe and effective medication for treating ED in men.
To make the best use of Sildenafil, it is important to follow these six tips:
- Consult a doctor to determine the appropriate Sildenafil dosage for you
- Take Sildenafil on an empty stomach
- Get in “that mood” to make Sildenafil work
- Do not take more than one dose in 24 hours
- Ask the doctor about the interactions and side effects of Sildenafil
- Store Sildenafil properly.
The above guidelines will help men with ED to make the best use of Sildenafil.
Also Read: How to Store Sildenafil for Maximum Potency
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I split a Sildenafil tablet to adjust my dose?
Can I use Sildenafil with grapefruit juice?
No, it is not advisable to use Sildenafil with grapefruit juice. This is because grapefruit juice contains compounds that can interfere with the breakdown of Sildenafil.
This can result in higher levels of the medication in the body. Thus, increasing the risk of its side effects and interactions.
Can I take Sildenafil with other medications?
Sildenafil can be taken with medications that do not have an interaction with it. Certain medications, like Nitrates, Alpha-blockers, other ED medicines, etc., interact with Sildenafil.
So, it is advisable not to take Sildenafil with these medicines. It is essential to inform your doctor about the medicines you are taking.
What is the recommended dosage of Sildenafil?
The recommended starting dosage of Sildenafil is 50mg. It is taken 30-60 minutes before sexual activity.
However, your doctor may adjust your dosage based on your individual needs and health status. Do not exceed the prescribed dosage without consulting your doctor.
How long do the effects of Sildenafil last?
The effects of Sildenafil usually last for 4-6 hours. However, the duration may vary depending on individual factors such as age, health, and dosage.
It is necessary to wait 24 hours before taking another dose of Sildenafil.
More Articles on Sildenafil
- What is Sildenafil and How Does It Work
- Explore the Versatile Uses of Sildenafil in Medical Treatments
- The history of Sildenafil and its development
- Navigating the Potential Side Effects of Sildenafil
- Interactions of Sildenafil: Drugs, Food, and Disease
- Contraindications of Sildenafil: A Guide for Safe Use
- Sildenafil Dosage: A Guide to Achieving Optimal Results
- Sildenafil and Alternatives: Comparison of ED Drugs
- The Time Factor: How Long Does Sildenafil Last
- Recreational Use of Sildenafil: Risks, Ethics, and Alternatives
- Sildenafil for Women: Can it Help with Sexual Dysfunction
- How to get a Sildenafil Prescription: Your Ultimate Guide
- Sildenafil without a prescription: Is it safe?
- Unlocking the Timing: How Long Does Sildenafil Take to Work
- How to Use Sildenafil for Best Results
- Sildenafil’s Impact on Fertility and Reproductive Health
- Sildenafil for Premature Ejaculation: Effective or Myth
- Sildenafil and mental health: Effects on Mood and Anxiety
- Uncovering Herbal Alternatives to Sildenafil
- Can Sildenafil Become Less Effective Over Time
- Unveiling the Benefits and Risks of Sildenafil for ED
- Tadalafil vs Sildenafil – Which ED Pill Reigns Supreme
- Vardenafil vs Sildenafil: Let Us Clear Your Doubt!
- Sildenafil vs Avanafil: Which One to Choose
- How to Store Sildenafil for Maximum Potency