Sildenafil is a medication primarily used to treat Erectile Dysfunction (ED). It is also FDA-approved for treating Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH).
It is an effective treatment for ED and PAH. But the effectiveness and safety of Sildenafil depend on taking the correct dosage.
This article will discuss the dosages of Sildenafil and how to take the medication.
We will also elaborate on the factors affecting Sildenafil dosage.
The appropriate dosage of Sildenafil depends on the specific medical condition and needs.
FDA has approved Sildenafil for treating two medical conditions – Erectile Dysfunction and Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Therefore, the Sildenafil dosage for each condition is different.
Here, we will provide a detailed discussion of the dosage for both conditions.
Sildenafil dosage for Erectile Dysfunction
FDA has approved three doses of Sildenafil for Erectile Dysfunction. These include:
Sildenafil, used for treating ED, comes in an oral tablet form. And it should only be used by males above 18 years of age.
1. 25 mg dose of Sildenafil
The lowest dose of Sildenafil is 25mg. Doctors prescribe this dose if
- You have mild Erectile Dysfunction
- You are experiencing side effects on taking 50 or 100mg dose of Sildenafil
- You are using medicines like Alpha-blockers, etc., or have other medical conditions
- You are above 65 years of age
2. 50mg of Sildenafil
The most recommended starting dose of Sildenafil for Erectile Dysfunction is 50mg.
This Sildenafil dosage has a good balance of effectiveness and tolerability. During trials, it has shown effectiveness in 74% of males.
Doctors prescribe a 50mg dose of Sildenafil in case of moderate Erectile Dysfunction.
Depending on the individual’s response and tolerability, the dose can be increased to 100mg or decreased to 25mg.
3. 100mg dose of Sildenafil
100mg is the maximum dose of Sildenafil that the FDA approves.
It is the most effective dose prescribed for severe Erectile Dysfunction. But it may increase the dose-related side effects like sudden hearing or vision changes.
The doctor may also prescribe this highest dose if you are not responding to a 50mg dose.
Sildenafil dosage for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
For treating Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH), Sildenafil dosage ranges between 10mg to 80mg. Among these, 20mg is the most recommended dose.
It can be used for PAH treatment in adults and children over one year of age.
But the Sildenafil dosage varies, depending on the individual’s weight and age.
|Age Group||Recommended Dosage||Maximum Dosage|
|Adults||20mg orally, 3 times a day||Up to 80mg orally, 3 times a day|
|Children (1 year and older, weighing 45 kg or more)||20mg orally, 3 times a day||Up to 40mg orally, 3 times a day|
|Children (1 year and older, weighing 20 to 45 kg)||20mg orally, 3 times a day||–|
|Children (1 year and older, weighing 20 kg or less)||10mg orally, 3 times a day||–|
How to Take Sildenafil
Sildenafil is a prescription-based medication. This is due to its potential to interact and cause side effects.
So, you should always take Sildenafil as your doctor prescribes.
For Erectile Dysfunction
- Take the recommended dose 30-60 minutes before sexual activity
- Swallow the whole pill with water. Avoid chewing or breaking the tablet
- Do not take more than one pill in 24 hours unless advised by your doctor
- Take the dose as soon as you recall in case of missed doses. But do not take the missed dose if your next dose is approaching
- In case of overdose, consult the doctor immediately
For Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- Take the recommended dose three times a day at 4-6 hours apart
- If you have missed the Sildenafil dosage, take it as soon as you remember. In case your next dose is due, do not take the dose you missed
- If you have overdosed on Sildenafil, talk to your doctor right away
Factors Affecting the Dosage of Sildenafil
Various factors can affect the Sildenafil dosage. These include age, weight, medical conditions, etc.
Here are some of the key factors discussed in detail.
Age is a significant factor in determining the appropriate Sildenafil dosage for both ED and PAH.
Body weight is a determining factor in Sildenafil dosage for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Individuals with higher body weight require a higher dosage to achieve the desired effect.
But the Sildenafil dosage for Erectile Dysfunction does not get affected by the weight of the individual.
Certain medical conditions, like liver or kidney diseases, can affect how the body metabolizes Sildenafil. This may require a lower dosage to avoid potential side effects.
This can affect the dosage for both ED and PAH.
Some medications interact with Sildenafil. This can affect its effectiveness or increase the risk of side effects.
When determining the appropriate dosage for ED and PAH, doctors consider all the medications an individual takes.
Individual response to Sildenafil varies. Due to this, the doctor may adjust the dosage based on how an individual responds to the medication.
Also Read: Uncovering Herbal Alternatives to Sildenafil
In summary, the effectiveness and safety of Sildenafil depend on its right dosage.
The appropriate dosage depends on several factors, like age, weight, and overall health.
Sometimes, Sildenafil doses for ED exceeding 100mg may be prescribed off-label by the doctor.
It is essential to consult with a doctor to determine the proper dosage and frequency of use.
With the right dosage and appropriate use, Sildenafil can treat ED and PAH effectively.
Also Read: How to Store Sildenafil for Maximum Potency
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Sildenafil, and how does it work?
Sildenafil is a medication used to treat Erectile Dysfunction (ED) in males. The FDA has also approved it for treating Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH).
It works by dilating blood vessels in the body. Thus, allowing for increased blood flow. This improves the quality of erections and reduces blood pressure in the arteries.
What is the recommended Sildenafil dosage?
The recommended starting dose of Sildenafil for ED is 50mg. Depending on its effectiveness and tolerability, the doctor may increase the dose to 100mg or decrease it to 25mg.
For PAH, the Sildenafil dose varies according to the age and weight of the individuals. So, consult your doctor to determine the right dosage.
Can Sildenafil be taken with food?
Yes, you can take Sildenafil with or without food. But do not take it with a high-fat meal as it delays the absorption of Sildenafil in the body.
It also reduces its highest concentration in the blood by 29%. Therefore, take Sildenafil on an empty stomach for fast absorption and the strongest effects.
Are there any side effects of Sildenafil?
Although Sildenafil is a safe medicine, it has the potential to cause side effects. Some of its common side effects include headaches, facial flushing, and indigestion.
They are temporary and require minimal to no medical attention. You can avoid these adverse effects by following your doctor’s prescription properly.
More Articles on Sildenafil
- What is Sildenafil and How Does It Work
- Explore the Versatile Uses of Sildenafil in Medical Treatments
- The history of Sildenafil and its development
- Navigating the Potential Side Effects of Sildenafil
- Interactions of Sildenafil: Drugs, Food, and Disease
- Contraindications of Sildenafil: A Guide for Safe Use
- Sildenafil Dosage: A Guide to Achieving Optimal Results
- Sildenafil and Alternatives: Comparison of ED Drugs
- The Time Factor: How Long Does Sildenafil Last
- Recreational Use of Sildenafil: Risks, Ethics, and Alternatives
- Sildenafil for Women: Can it Help with Sexual Dysfunction
- How to get a Sildenafil Prescription: Your Ultimate Guide
- Sildenafil without a prescription: Is it safe?
- Unlocking the Timing: How Long Does Sildenafil Take to Work
- How to Use Sildenafil for Best Results
- Sildenafil’s Impact on Fertility and Reproductive Health
- Sildenafil for Premature Ejaculation: Effective or Myth
- Sildenafil and mental health: Effects on Mood and Anxiety
- Uncovering Herbal Alternatives to Sildenafil
- Can Sildenafil Become Less Effective Over Time
- Unveiling the Benefits and Risks of Sildenafil for ED
- Tadalafil vs Sildenafil – Which ED Pill Reigns Supreme
- Vardenafil vs Sildenafil: Let Us Clear Your Doubt!
- Sildenafil vs Avanafil: Which One to Choose
- How to Store Sildenafil for Maximum Potency